If you’re a doctor looking to come and live and work in New Zealand, you may be wondering about how to go about finding a rental property or what location to live in. We’ve compiled some helpful information and links to give you an overview about rental accommodation in New Zealand.

Finding a rental

There are several ways to find rental properties and the easiest way to start your search is online. Many property owners and real estate/letting agents advertise their properties across several different sites. Some of the most popular that we use include:




There is demand for good places, so it pays to get in touch early. Although it can be difficult to secure a long-term rental while you’re overseas, many doctors we work with book short-term accommodation for the first 4-6 weeks to enable them to explore the area and decide which suburb they’d like to live in long-term.

For short-term accommodation options check out:




Rental prices

Depending on the city or region you are moving to, rental prices throughout the country can vary. Generally, main cities such as Auckland and Wellington are more expensive to live in, depending on the quality, location and size of the property.

To find out more what renters are typically paying in certain areas go to: https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/rent-bond-and-bills/market-rent/

Rental prices for properties in more desirable suburbs can command much higher prices, so it pays to do your research.

You may be wondering what the cost of housing is relative to the income you are earning in New Zealand (as well as other living costs). The NZ Now site has a ‘cost of living’ calculator to give you an insight into what you could be paying: https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/live-in-new-zealand/money-tax/cost-of-living

Tenancy agreements

When you find a property you like and are successful in being offered to take on the tenancy, you will need to fill out a tenancy agreement. This is a legal requirement for renting a property. There are generally two options when you sign up for a rental property:

  • Fixed-term residential tenancy agreements are often short to medium term. Longer fixed-term contracts are quite rare.
  • Periodic tenancy agreements continue until either the tenant or landlord gives notice to end it.

It is important to remember that you may be asked to pay a bond and rent in advance before moving into a property. The bond can be up to four weeks’ rent and is held by Tenancy Services for the length of the tenancy.

Detailed information about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant or landlord can be found on the Tenancy Services website: https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/

Get in touch today

At Hospital Staff Solutions we offer a seamless solution for local and international doctors seeking permanent or locum opportunities throughout Australia and New Zealand.

We have jobs across radiology, psychiatry, general practice, emergency and general medicine. If you work in another specialty or would like to find out more about how to get registered as a doctor in New Zealand or Australia, please contact us today.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Email: contact@hospitalstaff.co.nz